June 17, 2022
When planning your elopement, there are so many things that need to be considered. One of them is finding an elopement photographer who will capture all the special moments for you. Here are some questions to ask when looking for an elopement photographer.
Do They Have Experience with Elopements?
If you’re planning an elopement, you’ll likely want an experienced elopement photographer. This means that they:
- Have photographed at least a few elopements, preferably more.
- Know how to create an elopement specific photography timeline.
- Understand what permits and fees are required for your ceremony location.
- Follow Leave No Trace guidelines.
- Understand how to work with couples and families during the process.
- Bonus: It’s helpful if they’ve previously photographed an elopement where you’re getting married and know the area.
Are Their Prices Within Your Budget?
An elopement photographer will charge anywhere between $1,000-$10,000 for an elopement day. While prices vary widely, there’s a photographer for every budget. Make sure you research a few different photographer’s prices in your area to get an idea of what you’ll likely spend. As a photographer, I’m certainly biased, but photography is definitely the vendor to splurge on for your elopement. At the end of the day, photos (and a new life partner) will be all you have to remember your elopement.
Do You Like Their Photography Style?
If you’ve decided to hire an elopement photographer, you need to make sure you’re happy with their style. Check out their website and their social media to get an idea of how they photograph a day and the type of photos they deliver.
It’s also beneficial to ask how they operate on an elopement day. Are they more of a behind the scenes photographer? Or are they more hands on and involved? Decide which feels right to you and your partner and go from there!
Are They Available For Your Date?
Another thing to consider when hiring an elopement photographer is availability. It’s not uncommon for couples to book an elopement photographer months, sometimes even years, in advance. So, if you’re looking at booking a photographer within a few weeks, you might have a harder time finding someone.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Them?
If you’re considering hiring an elopement photographer, here are 5 more questions you should ask them before making any decisions.
- Are you taking on new clients?
- How much experience do you have with elopements?
- What is your turnaround time?
- Can I see a full gallery from a past elopement?
- How do I officially book you?
Here are some photos from a recent Mt. Rainier Elopement with Ashlee & Will for elopement inspiration
LOOKING FOR MORE ELOPEMENT TIPS & INSPIRATION?
Check the below blogs out for more inspiration & Washington State elopement planning tips