June 24, 2022
A Golden Hour Mt Rainier Engagement Session
Mount Rainier. Golden Hour. Summer Evenings. It just doesn’t get better y’all. Keep reading to hear about one of my all-time favorite engagement photo sessions and to see the stunning photos!
The Perfect Engagement Session Location
When Vanessa and Isaac told me they wanted their engagement photos at Mt Rainier I was stoked. Rainier is an icon in the PNW and the perfect location for engagement photos.
We decided on a mid-August date for their session at Paradise, which is Mt Rainier’s prime location for wildflower photos and epic mountain views.
We wandered around the trails, found incredible spots for photos, chatted about their wedding plans, their sweet dog Kevin, and were awed at the incredible landscape we were surrounded by. What an experience!
3 Things To Keep In Mind When Planning A Mt Rainier Engagement Session
Stay On Trails and Leave No Trace
The wildflower meadows at Mt Rainier are incredibly beautiful and they are also incredibly fragile. It’s important to stay on the designated trails and out of the meadows so that we can preserve them for future visitors.
3 Reasons To Stay On Trail:
1. On average there are 83 plants per square ft in the subalpine meadows. One step off-trail tramples an average of 20 plants.
3. Avalanche lilies are unlikely to bloom the following year if stepped on. Meaning no blooms, seeds, or propagation and a possible decline in the species.
4. It only takes 15 people to walk in the same place to create a social trail. That trail changes vegetation and can disrupt the natural wanderings of wildlife.
Be Prepared For Varying Weather
It’s a mountain, at a very high elevation, and the weather can-and often does-change quickly and drastically. It’s not uncommon to get caught in unexpected rain. And once the sun goes below the horizon it can get chilly quickly. Be sure to pack a raincoat and a warm sweater.
Check out my favorite raincoat at this link.
Make A Schedule
If you’re my client I’ll take care of this. But if not, here are some things to keep in mind when making a day-of schedule for your Mt Rainier engagement session.
1. Be aware of the drive time from your home to the mountain. Mount Rainier is rural and takes quite a while to get to from the major cities in the region.
2. Add buffer time for park entrance lines, slow drivers on the windy narrow road, and to find parking.
3. Include time to walk to different locations. My favorite spots at Paradise are a 20-minute walk from the parking lot.
Ready To Plan Your Mt Rainier Engagement Session?
Hey, I know someone who can help you with that haha! I’d LOVE to photograph and help plan your engagement session!
Timelines, locations, permits; I’ve got you covered. I’m a self-proclaimed Mt Rainier expert. I love using my knowledge of the park to help create unforgettable experiences and photographs for my clients.
Reach out here to check my travel schedule and availability! Can’t wait to hear from you!
WANTING MORE ENGAGEMENT SESSION INSPIRATION?
If you’re dreaming up your own elopement or engagement session in Washington State and beyond, check out more inspiration below!
3 PLANNING TIPS FOR A NATIONAL PARK ENGAGEMENT SESSION
EMMA + BRIAN’S STUNNING MOUNTAIN ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS AT RAINIER
FRANK AND OLIVIA’S LAKE CUSHMAN ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS